At New York OB/GYN Associates™ we offer the safest methods to terminate an early abortion. The safest time to have an abortion is when you are under 8-9 weeks pregnant. The two methods that are considered to be the safest are the Aspiration Abortion
and the Abortion Pill/RU-486
. These two non-surgical methods eliminate the health risks associated with a surgical abortion. Both the Abortion Pill/RU-486
and the Aspiration Procedure
do not involve electrical suction machines, nor do they use sharp metal objects, which bear the risk of scarring.
Surgical Abortions, also known as the Dilation and Curettage (D&C) and the Dilation and Evacuation (D&E), carry several risks that are not associated with the non-surgical methods offered at New York OB/GYN Associates™. Some of the risks associates with a D&C and a D&E Abortion are uterine perforation, scar tissue, and scarring. Women who undergo D&C or D&E feel significant pain and discomfort, therefore the procedure requires heavy sedation. In your early pregnancy there is no need to have a surgical abortion. Furthermore, The World Health Organization recommends that women undergo non-surgical abortion when deciding to terminate an early pregnancy.
There has been a lot of research that supports the Aspiration Procedure
and the Abortion Pill/RU-486
as the safest methods of early abortion. The World Health Organization endorses manual Aspiration Abortion
and the Abortion Pill/RU486
as the safest abortion methods. The WHO is an organization that has been acting as the directing and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system. The organization is held responsible for providing leadership when dealing with global health matters. They delegate and shape the health research agenda, and set health norms and standards.
The World Health Organization (WHO) has stated in its Technical Guidelines on Safe Abortion:
Aspiration and medical abortion are preferred methods for abortion in the first trimester. Both these methods are safe, effective, and suitable for the primary level of care and should be available at levels of care with greater capacity and in many private clinical settings.
Furthermore, IPAS, an international organization dedicated to safe abortion care adds that unfortunately many health facilities still use the sharp curettage or dilation and curettage (D&C) method. The WHO guidelines state that because women's risk of complications is substantially higher with sharp curettage than with vacuum aspiration or medication abortion, this method should be used only when vacuum aspiration and medication abortion are unavailable.
How can you make your abortion safer?
- To ensure a safe and successful abortion choose a safe methods such as the Aspiration Abortion Procedure or the Abortion Pill/RU-486
- One of the ways to make an abortion safer is by terminating the pregnancy when you are less than 14 weeks. For a rough estimate of how far along you are in your pregnancy please refer to the Pregnancy Calculator on the Pregnancy Timing Page
- Avoid procedures that involve scraping of the uterus. Procedures such as Dilation and Curettage (D&C) and Dilation and Evacuation (D&E) involve scraping and scarring of the uterus.
- Local anesthesia, Twilight anesthesia and sedation are safer options of sedatives. If you choose these methods they are safer than general anesthesia, which is necessary in a surgical procedure.
- At New York OB/GYN Associates™ all of our doctors are Board Certified and have been trained at the most prestigious institutions. Our doctors and staff have over 30 years of experience providing early abortion care. In order to ensure a safer abortion it is important to evaluate the credentials and experience of your abortion doctor.
- We use the most state of the art technologies and always have your safety as our number one priority. To ensure the lowest possible infection rate we maintain an impeccably clean private office and use disposable instruments. Unlike many other centers we do not and will never cut corners to save on costs.
At New York OB/GYN Associates™ our highly skilled and trained professional staff specialize in providing complete gynecological care. We aim at providing the safest methods of abortion and are here to answer any questions you may have about the procedure. Our private practice office is a comfortable, private and supportive environment. We offer the latest technology and administer safe and gentle care.