At New York OB/GYN Associates™ our Board Certified OB/GYNs have specialized training and extensive experience in administering early abortion methods. Our main goal is to provide private and compassionate healthcare to women. It is our mission to preserve your emotional well-being throughout the entire process. We help you make an informed decision and are committed to providing the highest quality medical and emotional care.
At New York OB/GYN Associates™ we offer two non-surgical methods to terminate an early pregnancy. These two methods include the Abortion Pill/RU-486
and the Aspiration Procedure
. Both of these methods do not involve any scraping or scaring of the uterus. They are designed to naturally release a woman’s pregnancy tissue in a gentle and safe way, which does not cause damage. The Abortion Pill/RU-486 is designed to propel your period by stopping pregnancy hormones and causing the uterus to undergo contractions and thus your body releases the pregnancy tissue. With the Aspiration Procedure your Board Certified OB/GYN will apply a gentle amount of pressure that results in the natural release and termination of pregnancy tissue. At New York OB/GYN Associates™ we also offer Menstrual Extraction
which is a procedure used on women who are not pregnant. Menstrual Extraction is an option for women who engaged in sexual activity, missed the opportunity to take the morning after pill
and would like to prevent a pregnancy from occurring.
The Aspiration procedure is not considered to be surgery
- The procedure takes place in a regular medical examination room. You are not taken to an operating room.
- There is no scraping, no scaring and no damage to the uterine wall
- A mild and gentle pressure is applied by one of our Board Certified OB/GYNs Most women feel very minimal discomfort, however sedation is available.
- Unlike after a surgery you are able to resume to your normal activities immediately after the procedure is done
- Aspiration Abortion is completed within 2-5 minutes
- There is no cutting during an Aspiration Abortion
The Aspiration Abortion
involves the insertion of a thin tube into the natural opening of the cervix. After the tube is inserted the Board Certified OB/GYN applies a gentle and mild pressure. The entire procedure takes please within 2-5 minutes. Once the procedure is done the doctor will be able to confirm that the pregnancy is terminated by a repeat trans-vaginal sonogram and there will be no need for a follow up appointment.
The Aspiration Procedure
is offered in our private practice offices, which are comfortable and intimate. The procedure is not conducted in an operating room where a surgery takes place. Rather, the procedure takes place on the same type of examination table which you lay on to get a regular pap smear. At New York OB/GYN Associates™ we use the most state of the art technology in early abortion care. We value your comfort and welcome the support of your friends and family. As such, you may bring a companion to be with you during the entire procedure.
Aspiration may be associated with some degree of pain and discomfort. We realize that pain is subjective for each patient. Unlike other practices, at New York OB/GYN Associates™ our Board Certified OB/GYN’s are qualified to offer a wide array of pain control methods. Namely, your physician may offer the option of cervical block or light sedation. Therefore at NY OB/GYN Associates™ we provide options so that you feel completely comfortable and are provided with the best care possible.
After the Aspiration Procedure
is finished you will stay in the examination room and can enjoy a beverage and snacks. The procedure is gentle and does not result in the need for your uterus to heal. The entire process is natural and the release of the uterine lining is naturally induced. You may resume to normal activities immediately and may use tampons and engage in sexual intercourse after 24 hours.
- Non-Surgical method, safe, simple and effective
- The first pill, RU-486/Mifeprex™/Mifeprestone, is taken in our medical office or in the privacy of your own home. It works by blocking progesterone, which is necessary to sustain a pregnancy. By blocking the hormone, the lining of the uterus breaks down which induces a miscarriage.
- The second set of two pills, Misoprostol, are taken at home, 48 hours later. Misoprostol tablets cause the uterus to contract and evacuate the pregnancy naturally.
- A follow up visit, including a second state of the art trans-vaginal sonogram, is scheduled to make sure the process was successful.
- The Abortion Pill is 99% effective and is the most private method available as it can be taken in your own home. We guarantee the Abortion Pill/RU-486. In the unlikely event that the Abortion Pill is unsuccessful we will provide you with an Aspiration Procedure free of charge.
- There is no scaring, or scraping of the uterine wall. There is no electrical suction or surgery involved.
The Abortion Pill/ RU-486
works by blocking pregnancy hormones from reaching the uterus. This results in bleeding which can be compared to a heavy period. You will also take a second set of pills, Misoprostol , which cause the uterus to contract and evacuate the pregnancy naturally. Many women choose the Abortion Pill/RU-486
as a method of terminating their pregnancy because it has advantages over other methods. Unlike any other method, the Abortion Pill/RU-486
can be taken in the privacy of your own home. You also have the option of taking the first pill at the New York OB/GYN Associates™ private medical office in the presence of your Board Certified OB/GYN. The decision as to when and where you take the pill is up to you. After you take the first pill, the second set of pills is then taken 48 hours later. The second set of pills causes a woman’s body to shed the uterine lining and expel the pregnancy. At this point you will feel cramping for several hours, similar to cramping felt during a heavy period. We will prescribe pain medication and anti-nausea medication for you to use as needed. The next step is to schedule a follow up appointment at our office to confirm that the pill was successful, this is done by having a confirmatory sonogram administered.
is an aspiration of the uterine lining. It is done to make the environment of the uterus unsuitable for a fertilized egg to sit and grow in. Patients are considered candidates if they engaged in sexual activity without protection during the time of ovulation, did not take the morning after pill
, and do not wish to be pregnant. Women who undergo Menstrual Extraction do so no later than a week after they engaged in unprotected sex. At New York OB/GYN Associates™ we will provide a pregnancy test and sonogram to confirm you are not pregnant during Menstrual Extraction. Menstrual Extraction terminates the possibility of becoming pregnant before pregnancy occurs. It is done to prevent pregnancy rather than to abort an already occurring pregnancy.
Side effects of Menstrual Extraction:
- There is a possibility of ectopic pregnancy
- Even though the uterine environment is not suitable for an egg to sit and grow in, the fertilized eggs can stay “stuck” in the tube
How do I know if I am experiencing an ectopic pregnancy?
- At New York OB/GYN Associates™ we perform trans-vaginal sonograms and follow up with pregnancy tests to determine whether you are experiencing an ectopic pregnancy.
The World Health Organization
The World Health Organization (WHO) endorses New York OB/GYN Associates™ methods of the Aspiration Procedure
and the Abortion Pill/RU-486
as the safest abortion methods to terminate an early pregnancy. These non-surgical procedures do not cause damage to the uterine wall and they do not involve scrapping or scarring. According to The World Health Organization’s technical guidelines on safe abortion: Aspiration and medical abortion are preferred methods for abortion in the first trimester. Both these methods are safe, effective, and suitable for the primary level of care and should be available at levels of care with greater capacity and in many private clinical settings.
IPAS, an international organization dedicated to safe abortion care agrees and adds: Regrettably, many health facilities still use the sharp curettage or dilation and curettage (D&C) method. The WHO guidelines state that because women’s risk of complications is substantially higher with sharp curettage than with vacuum aspiration or medication abortion, this method should be used only when vacuum aspiration and medication abortion are unavailable.