View Our Patient
Learn why we are the
leading private abortion
providers in New York.
Safer Aspiration Procedure:
- Pro-Vac offered at NY OB/GYN Associates™
- Newest technology that most centers do not offer
- Quicker recovery
- No surgery
- Effective, natural and safe
Find the best method
- Private practice office
- Run by women for women
- By appointment…No long clinic waits
- State of the art technology
- Friends welcome
The Abortion Pill RU-486
The Abortion Pill “Medical Abortion” (RU-486, Mifepristone)
RU-486 is the original name of the “Abortion Pill”, Mifeprex™. The generic name for RU-486 is Mifepristone. New York OB/GYN Associates™ is one of the pioneers in administering RU-486 in the United States. The Abortion Pill, RU-486 (Mifeprex™/Mifepristone), was approved by the FDA in October of 2000. The Abortion Pill has been used successfully and safely in Europe since 1998. Since its introduction it has been regarded as a highly successful, safe and superior non-surgical early abortion method.
Abortion with the Abortion Pill, RU-486, is an alternative method for ending an early pregnancy within 2-9 weeks. Taking the Abortion Pill DOES NOT involve surgery or anesthesia. The pill allows women to have the abortion in the comfort and privacy of their own home. The way that RU-486 works is by blocking the hormone progesterone, a hormone naturally needed by the body to maintain an early pregnancy. It causes an early pregnancy to stop growing and detach from the uterine wall. The Abortion Pill works naturally by ending an early pregnancy, similar to an early miscarriage. When taking the Abortion Pill, RU-486, you are required to have an initial visit and a follow-up visit by our Board Certified OB/GYN, but the main process occurs in the privacy of your own home. You cannot buy RU-486 online or through a pharmacy. Only doctors offices can purchase and administer RU-486.
At New York OB/GYN Associates™ our Board Certified OB/GYNs have specialized training in abortion care. They have superior knowledge and many years of experience administering the Abortion Pill. When you arrive at our private offices you will have the opportunity to consult with our Board Certified OB/GYN and learn more about the Abortion Pill. The following is a brief summary of the process and what to expect.
The Abortion Pill, RU-486, is a three-step process:
- The first pill, RU-486/Mifeprex™/Mifeprestone, is taken in our medical office or in the privacy of your own home. It works by blocking progesterone, which is necessary to sustain a pregnancy. By blocking the hormone, the lining of the uterus breaks down which induces a miscarriage.
- The second set of two pills, Misoprostol, are taken at home, 48 hours later. Misoprostol tablets cause the uterus to contract and evacuate the pregnancy naturally.
- A follow up visit, including a second sonogram, is scheduled to make sure the process was successful.
* New York OB/GYN Associates™ Guarantees the Abortion Pill, if it is not successful, an Aspiration Procedure will be performed free of charge.
Do I Qualify for a Non-Surgical Abortion with the Abortion Pill, RU-486?
In order to have a Non-Surgical Abortion with the Abortion Pill, RU-486, you must be no more than 9 weeks from the first day of your last period. Our Board Certified OBGYNs will do an ultrasound to confirm that you are early enough into pregnancy to take the Abortion Pill. For a rough estimate, we have provided a pregnancy calculator on the Pregnanacy Timing Page. Our physicians will also review your medical history to be sure you medically qualify for an abortion with the Abortion Pill, RU-486.
The Abortion Pill, RU-486, is up to 95-99% effective, the earlier you are in your pregnancy the more successful the Abortion Pill works. If the Abortion Pill fails your Board Certified OB/GYN will do an Aspiration Procedure in our private office at no additional charge. Most women find a non-surgical abortion easier both emotionally and physically. Recent reports from women, who have had a medical abortion with the Abortion Pill, RU-486, show that greater than 95% prefer a non-surgical abortion with the Abortion Pill over an abortion procedure, because it is more private, natural, and gives a woman more control over the termination of her pregnancy.
Advantages of the Abortion Pill, RU-486
Women report positive experiences when using the Abortion Pill. Some advantages of taking the Abortion Pill are:
- Women are able to take the Abortion Pill in the privacy and comfort of their own home
- When taking the Abortion Pill at home your significant other or family member can be with you during the entire process, many patients appreciate having loved ones around when the miscarriage occur
- Taking the Abortion Pill does not involve any medical procedures
- The Abortion Pill, RU-486, is a very effective natural way of terminating an early pregnancy
- You decide when you would like to schedule a time to take the Abortion Pill and undergo the miscarriage.
|The Abortion Pill RU-486 ||Non-Surgical Aspiration Abortion
|Can be performed up to 9 weeks from last menstrual period (LMP) ||Can be performed up to 13.5 weeks from last menstrual period (LMP) |
|Does not require a procedure ||Requires a minor procedure similar to a gynecological examination |
|Pills can be taken in the privacy of your own home, and you can choose when to start the process ||Process usually completed in 2-5 minutes by our experienced Boards Certified OB/GYNs in a private examination room |
|Non-Invasive, Non-Surgical, No Cutting, Scrapping or Scarring ||Non-Invasive, Non-Surgical, No Cutting, Scrapping or Scarring |
|Requires 2 Doctors Visits, termination of pregnancy confirmed after second visit ||One doctors visit required, you can confirm termination immediately |
|95-99% effective ||Greater than 99% effective
What to expect with the RU-486 Abortion Pill at New York OB/GYN Associates™:
- You will be greeted by our friendly receptionist in our beautifully decorated private OB/GYN office
- We only schedule one appointment at a time, and several a day, so there won’t be a busy, cramped waiting room typical of abortion centers or clinics
- We are a full service OB/GYN office, so other than you and our staff no one will know you are there for an abortion
- You may fill out our patient forms in the office or patient forms online
- You have your own private examination room, which you can stay in until you leave the office
- You will have one private nurse specially assigned to you
- You will have a pregnancy test and ultrasound completed by your Board Certified OB/GYN to confirm your pregnancy
- Your Board Certified OB/GYN will counsel you regarding different treatment options for a termination of pregnancy
- You will be fully informed of the risks and benefits of abortion by RU-486 (the Abortion Pill) by your Board Certified OB/GYN
- If you are a candidate, then you will take the Abortion Pill, RU-486/Mifeprex™ /Mifepristone, in our office orally (or in the privacy of your own home) and receive two Misoprostol tablets with instruction to take them at home
- Most women do not display any symptoms after taking the first pill. You can resume normal activities. There is a possibility that you will bleed or spot, however, most women do not feel any discomfort
- 48 hours later you will take the Misoprostol tablets orally at home
- Symptoms vary with Misoprostol, some woman experience mild nausea and tend to feel cramping within 2 hours of taking Misoprostol. This can be relieved with medication. We will provide pain medication and anti-nausea medication for you to take as needed
- You should expect to begin bleeding within 45 minutes of consuming the Misoprostol tablets and pregnancy will be terminated
- If the Abortion Pill wasn’t effective the same Board Certified OB/GYN will perform an Aspiration Procedure free of charge.
- We welcome, parents, spouses, or companions. If you bring a companion they can be with you during your entire visit
Common Side effect of RU-486/Mifeprex™/Mifepristone
Side effects are particularly uncommon with the first pill but may include, mild gastrointestinal (“stomach”) upset or occasional spotting or bleeding. Typically after taking this pill you can resume your normal daily activities.
Common side effects of Misoprostol
When taking Misoprostol women may experience:
- Abdominal cramping, mild fevers, and mild gastrointestinal (“stomach”) upset.
- Bleeding usually follows the cramping, and can be heavier than usual for several hours. The bleeding then tapers off to light bleeding like a period or light spotting.
- Side effects are typically mild and tolerable, usually lasting a couple of hours but in some cases may last up to a few days. At New York OB/GYN Associates™ we will give you pain medications and anti-nausea medications to be taken as needed to minimize any discomfort.
What is the difference between the Morning After Pill and the Abortion Pill?
The Abortion Pill is taken when you are pregnant and you are terminating pregnancy. The Morning After Pill is taken after engaging in unprotected sex in order to prevent the future occurrence of a pregnancy. You CANNOT use the Morning After Pill to terminate a pregnancy.
Do I need to miss school or work?
No. One of the advantages is that you can take the Abortion Pill at the convenience of your own schedule and in the privacy of your home. Once you take the second set of pills, the miscarriage usually happens within 45 minutes. In this case you do not need to miss school or work. Shortly after the miscarriage takes place you can resume your normal activity. The earlier you are the pregnancy the less bleeding you will experience. However, there are some uncommon instances where the miscarriage is delayed and it does not begin for several hours after taking the second set of pills. In this rare case where bleeding is delayed we recommend that you stay home until the miscarriage takes place.
What should I expect to see after taking the Misoprostol tablets?
Usually when early in the pregnancy there is no visible embryo. Usually you will experience a heavier period, with some tiny cells that you can’t see, and some tissue lining (like normal shedding as experienced with a heavier period).
If I take the Abortion Pill will anyone know?
No one needs to know you have taken the Abortion Pill. The symptoms incurred are just like having a heavy period. Therefore, no one will be able to tell if you have taken the Abortion Pill.
How is New York OB/GYN Associates™ different than an abortion center or abortion clinic?
New York OB/GYN Associates™ provides a private practice alternative to New York abortion centers and clinics. We specialize in non-surgical early abortion methods offered in privately scheduled one-hour appointments. Because of this, New York OB/GYN Associates™ is recognized as one of the nation's leading private practice abortion providers with over 30 years of experience in abortion care. All of our physicians are board-certified obstetrician/gynecologists with specialized training in abortion care and they are recognized across the country as leading experts. All staff members are carefully chosen for their skill, training, experience, compassion and commitment to providing patients with safe and confidential abortion care.